Wednesday 6 August 2014

It's Called "Ferberizing", Brynn.

And one day you'll thank me for it.

Probably not today. Because today you are yelling at me (Yes, yelling. Did you know 6 month old babies can yell like a teenager who doesn't get their way? Me neither!) from the confines of your crib as I heartlessly let you "cry it out" before you fall asleep.

Before you all judge me and tell me I'm a horrible, feeling-less parent, let me explain. You see, I was (am?!) that Mom who nursed her baby to sleep every. single. time. It just made sense to avoid the crying when she would fall asleep so nicely that way. And it was all fine and dandy until I realized that in a couple weeks I am back at work and the babysitter is not going to have the *cough* "power" to put Baby B to sleep the same way I have.

Hmm. What to do? She would not fall asleep in her crib. So after consulting some websites and my mother (who very clearly stated "I told you so"), we decided she was just going to have to learn to cry it out in her crib before falling asleep. Dr. Ferber said this is the best way, you see.

And cry she has. For about a half hour to an hour each time (once was almost 2 hours. eep.).

I'm told this isn't the worst that can happen, but when you are in the next room doing everything in your power not to go in there, pick up your child, snuggle them and apologize for every wrong and heartless thing you've ever done, it can seem like eternity.

The good news is, though, that eventually the crying stops and you get a sleeping baby. It's a long process, and you wonder if when she wakes up she will remember the torture you put her through, but yes, she is sleeping.


And, in a few days, as the crying gets less and less, she will look forward to nap time and the joy of sleeping in her crib. We hope. (Can you hear her laughing in the background?)

So Brynn, one day when you are old enough to understand all that has transpired, you will thank me. For teaching you how to fall asleep on your own. For giving you a safe place to sleep. And for loving you enough to write a blog post so I won't go nuts while you are screaming yourself to sleep.

You are welcome.



Oh, and for the record, it worked. 

Is there anything cuter than a sleeping baby? *wink wink*

No comments:

Post a Comment